Latest Responsible Travel News

Long Stay Ski Travel Insurance      

With the white stuff starting to fall in Europe, hopefully we will have a good year of snow for this year's ski season.

However, don't assume that because you have travel insurance that you will be automatically covered for skiing or snowboarding.

Not having the appropriate cover while skiing or snowboarding will mean that if you are unfortunate enough to be injured while on the piste you will not be able to claim the costs of any emergency medical treatment you may need. Your travel insurance policy should show whether you have wintersports cover or not.

Fortunately, Responsible Travel Insurance offers a range of options for ski travel insurance.

With a long stay policy you will need to decide how long you are going to need the ski cover for. If you are travelling through several different countries and will only be skiing on an incidental basis, totalling no more than 31 days, during your travels then you can take the incidental wintersports cover. However, if you are going to ski more that that, perhaps you are spending the entire ski season abroad working you will need the unlimited cover, which will provide cover for the entire period you are away.

>Our long stay policy will cover you if you are working in a chalet or bar for the ski season. However, it will exclude claims for public liability and personal accident elements of cover as your employer should have these.

We can potentially cover you if you are doing a ski instructors course on a case by case basis, please call Responsible Travel Insurance on 01483 562 662 for more details.

If you have one of our annual multi-trip policies then you will automatically have 21 days wintersports cover as standard, however this applies to the entire insurance period of 12 months is does not cover you for 21 days per trip. If you have a couple or family policy then this will extend to all the people on the policy, even if they travel independently.

If you are only planning on going on one holiday this year and it's skiing then you may prefer to purchase a single trip policy. You will need to add the wintersports extension during the buying process, but you will have cover for the entire duration of your trip. The maximum age of ski cover is 74 years old.

If you are planning on driving across to Europe with your own vehicle then you may also want to think about taking Voyager European breakdown cover in case you have an accident or breakdown. We reported on the mandatory equipment needed in your car in a previous news story, here. Please note that all journeys must start and end in the United Kingdom.

Similarly, if you are hiring a car while on your skiing trip you may also want to consider purchasing a Voyager hire car excess policy. This will cover the cost of a hire car company's excess should you damage the car or accidentally put the wrong type of fuel in the car.

So, no matter what your plans are you should be able to find the appropriate cover for your skiing or snowboarding trip.

Author: Adam